Monday 13 February 2012

Giants


Giants

Winters grip is on our town

Frost is everywhere, 
snow banks piled high,
School kids in cold weather dress hunker down

The air so cold my breath becomes a visible sigh

Each morning I drive past the school

I see the kids, the moms, and the dads

A crossing guard too
A hunched over, shuffling old man, 
slow moving bones make him seem somehow sad


I wonder what drives that old guy
Why fight the bitter cold and wicked snow

What rewards for him when storm clouds churn the sky

What makes him drag on his winter coat and boots to go


The snow twirls blind and stirs my mind

Suddenly then through a sideways frosty glance
I see a father, a son, and an infantryman of some kind
Strong and powerful, willful and intent in his stance

It’s a ghostly scene that I’ve just been shown

My minds eye blurred, visions like windblown snowflakes whipped

Truths of heavy labor and toils on the farmers’ ground

Adventures on new trains and great wooden ships


He’s been a son, a brides groom and a fine father they say

He’s been to war and paid his dues

Buried many friends on their last days
Lifted his son in joy...life brand new


I press my throttle and drive on by

And its no surprise what I see with a backward glance
A giant of a man, his arms raised high
A warning there, 
strong and powerful, willful and intent in his stance


He guides our child safely cross the road

And that’s just what he has done as years have piled high

Kept us all safe, holding off the foe

That Crossing guard, that giant of a man, that hero of mine.
Gunner©

1 comment:

  1. Again a beautiful and insightful depiction of someone that noone else sees and passes by every day without thought! Stunning visual imagery!

    ReplyDelete