Tuesday 14 February 2012

Brothers Black Black Blood



On hot summer noons
When school bells sing their lunchtime tunes
Memories of mine steal me back
To something bitter and black

Children singing ring a rosie things
They have a melody and a sting
"Your baby brothers dead,
"He lays upon a pool of blood"
"He lays upon a pool of black black blood"
"Your Baby brothers dead"

I run like mad to a spot nearly blind
Tiny fingers my guide
Its there I find a shine on the road of pain
Something that would make a strong man insane

Blackness spreads like water should
It stops me dead the way a bitter taste could
I bend and stoop my childs knee
Wondering if this monster really could be

Fingers point and tenderly touch
And as my tears fall like rain, I know the pain will be too much
Blackness that lifts away sticky red
From the place where my baby brother had lay dead

Fleet of foot and carrying fear like cold stone
I race to the shelter of my home
I find the sun burns and falls
It blossoms on the wine bottle tall
The fan turns a slow smooth and the scented oranges are bright with color
But my soul has turned gray, not a sign of my mother

And each day since
A tear escapes my glimpse
When school bells sing their lunchtime tunes
Since I found my brother dead to soon
His black black blood on my scrubbed raw fingers, still a stain
From that long long road of pain

Gunner©

3 comments:

  1. This one brings tears to my eyes every time i read it. The imagery, the pain, the guilt that you carry that doesn't belong to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart burns with this one! That you have the ability to express the depth of your pain so eloquently leaves me speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The agony of this memory is deeply felt on so many levels. It's not often I find no words to express my appreciation for one so gifted..

    ReplyDelete